A PDF from the Prison Policy Initiative with information, statistics, and graphics regarding mass incarceration and the U.S. prison systems including:
- How many people are incarcerated in the U.S.?
- 74% of people held in jails are not convicted of any crime
- Despite reforms, drug offences are still a defining characteristic of the federal system
- Pretrial policies drive jail growth
- Why are so many people detained in jails before trial?
- 1 in 5 incarcerated people is locked up for a drug offense
- Racial and ethnic disparities in correctional facilities
- 1 out of 5 incarcerated people in the world is incarcerated in the U.S.